Dog Care Attendant (Volunteer Roles)
Autism Assistance Dogs Ireland’s (AADI) mission is to change the world for children with autism.
Founded in 2010, AADI is a national charitable organisation which trains and places highly
skilled assistance and companion dogs to provide safety to children in public places or act as a
constant companion to the child with autism in their home environment. AADI’s dogs open up a
whole new world of opportunity and possibility for children with autism and their families.
You will be based at our headquarters at 18a Euro Business Park, Little Island, Co. Cork,
T45CR90. You will be an attentive, doting Doghouse Attendant to oversee the well-being of the
dogs in our care. The Doghouse Attendant's responsibilities include cleaning pens, you should
be able to anticipate and tend to the needs of animals. You are required to be a self-starter and
be able to observe what areas in the doghouse need attention on a given day.
We are specifically looking for assistance on weekdays only, Monday to Friday. There will be
two shifts (8am - 12.30 and 12.30 - 5pm) to accommodate the drop off and collection of dogs at
the beginning and end of each day. Ideally we would like all dog care attendants to overlap on
their chosen day so as to transfer tasks/information where possible.
1. Previous experience caring for dogs would be advantageous.
2. A passion for animal welfare.
3. Strong organisational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills.
5. Physically fit and agile. Perform general physical activities that require bending,
standing, stooping, moving from room to room, sit, talk, and listen; may be required to
walk or stand for long periods of time.
6. Capacity to lift up to 50 pounds unaided.
7. Ability to handle dogs of different breeds, sizes and temperaments for activities such as
toileting, grooming, bathing, playing and walking around the site.
8. Regular attendance and timeliness are an essential function in order to fulfil the
requirements of this position.
1. Ensuring that the dogs have fresh drinking water at all times.
2. Cleaning animal waste, spilled food, hair, and other debris from the doghouse.
3. Clean, disinfect and maintain kennels and runs as often as is necessary to ensure the
highest hygiene standards.
4. Perform general cleaning in all areas to control the spread of disease.
5. Wash and sterilize water bowls, dog toys, Kongs and bedding.
6. Launder and dry towels, blankets, dog beds etc.
7. Segregate and dispose of rubbish and recycling in a timely manner.
8. Responsible for maintaining inventory. Including but not limited to dog food, bowls,
bedding, leads, grooming supplies, cleaning supplies and other training equipment
9. To regularly groom and health check the dogs as per the schedule set out by the
Assistance Dog Instructors.
10. To exercise particular dogs locally as part of their enrichment if directed by Instructors,
the Medical and Welfare Officer or other staff.
11. Toileting of dogs in your care regularly in designated toileting area and ensuring this area
is kept clean at all times
12. Recognising if a dog appears anxious or unwell, reporting this to the person responsible
for the dog and taking immediate measures to ease any distress or discomfort.
13. Adjusting the air temperature to ensure that the animals remain comfortable.
14. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity immediately to the Welfare and
Rehoming Officer, Assistance Dog Instructor or any member of staff.
15. Record information such as feeding schedules, weight (on weekly basis), appearance,
behaviour and grooming.
16. Recording of deliveries received into the doghouse as well as stock taken in or removed
17. Evacuating all animals if an emergency occurs
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
If you think you are a good fit, email email@example.com for further details and an application form.